Sir Samuel Griffith Coat of Arms Banner - Before restoration
Sir Samuel Griffith's G.C.M.G. banner hanging in the High Court building before the banner was restored (it had been hung for many years back to front). The banner now hangs in the QEII Law Courts Building in Brisbane, on permanent loan from the High Court. The information at the base of the banner reads: The Banner and Coat of Arms of the first Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia, Sir Samuel Griffith, G.C.M.G. (1845 to 1920) granted on 7 April 1892 by letters patent by the King of Arms.
It is the practice for the banner of the recipient of the Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St Michael and St George (G.C.M.G.) to be displayed in the chapel of the order in St. Pauls's Cathedral, London. Sir Samuel's coat of arms are blazoned as follows: Gules on a Pile or between two Lions rampant in base of the last, a Cross flory of the first.