Merthyr House was constructed during 1878-1880 and located in the inner Brisbane City suburb of New Farm. This was the home to former Chief Justice of Australia and Premier of Queensland, Sir Samuel Griffith and his wife Lady Julia Griffith. The house was commissioned by Sir Samuel and the couple took up residence in 1880. The centre piece of the house was the Merthyr House Ballroom, where the couple would host both social and official engagements. This grand building was demolished in 1963 with a lack of money to maintain and upkeep the large house being cited.
Lady Julia Griffith