Merthyr House Ballroom
Merthyr House was constructed during 1878-1880 and located in the inner Brisbane City suburb of New Farm. This was home to former Chief Justice of Australia and Griffith University namesake, Sir Samuel Griffith. The house was commissioned by Sir Samuel and he and his wife, Lady Julia, took up residence in 1880. The centre piece of the house was a prominent ballroom (pictured) where the couple would host both social and official engagements. This grand building was unfortunately demolished in 1963 with a lack of money to maintain the large house being the main reason.